Here is the recipe for our family’s breakfast casserole. I know there are many variations of this recipe, but this one by far is the best! It comes from my husband’s family and we make it all of the time!
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups grits
- 2 lbs sausage
- 1 lb shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Brown sausage in a medium pan and split into quarter size pieces.
- In another pan, bring water to a boil and add grits. Cook for 5 minutes
- Add cooked sausage, cooked grits, cheese, milk, eggs, thyme and garlic into a mixing bowl. Combine and mix.
- Pour mixture into 9×13 pan. Optional: Add a thin layer of shredded cheese on top of mixture in the pan.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes prior to serving.